Why Choosing an AACSB-Accredited Business School Matters

Article Icon Article
Friday, August 24, 2018
By Jerrin Ching
Photo courtesy of University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa
After volunteering at AACSB's annual conference, Jerrin Ching shares what he learned about the opportunities AACSB-accredited institutions can provide.

This past April, I had the distinct privilege of coordinating student volunteers from the University of Hawai'i at Mānoa for the 2018 AACSB International Annual Conference and Meeting (ICAM), held in Honolulu, Hawaii. This was a unique opportunity for me and my fellow Shidler College of Business students to truly see the benefits and importance of attending an AACSB-accredited business school.

Prior to the conference, I did not have much background information on what AACSB was beyond the organization’s accrediting functions. I recognized the logo from around campus, Shidler College’s website, and print materials. However, after experiencing first-hand and interacting with the countless business educators and professionals who attended this year’s conference, I quickly learned what the high stature provided by AACSB really means for me as a student.

AACSB accreditation truly ensures that the level of quality in business education is substantial. It provides students with an opportunity to grasp the necessary business concepts needed to succeed when entering the job market. Graduating from an AACSB-accredited program increases students’ chances at landing a valued, and often higher paying, job. Employers are more inclined to recruit students who they know have ultimately gained the necessary skills and knowledge needed to be productive and innovative in the workforce. I am thrilled to know that the school I am attending is part of this internationally recognized benchmark of excellence.

Not only does AACSB ensure institutions provide high-quality education, the organization also opens the door to a much larger network than the school students themselves are enrolled at. Attending ICAM 2018 really showed me the value of AACSB’s membership network, the Business Education Alliance, which includes not only educators, but also business professionals and leaders. Having the chance to hear insights and advice from established business practitioners was really inspiring. I am now even more motivated to finish my education and pursue a career in business.

I highly recommend any future business student to seek out and apply to an AACSB-accredited business school. Simply put, AACSB accreditation validates that the school you’re attending will provide you with the highest quality of education. The skills and resources faculty seek to instill set a strong foundation for aspiring business professionals. I have been humbled and honored to be a part of such an experience.

Authors
Jerrin Ching
MBA Graduate, Shidler College of Business, University of Hawai'i at Mānoa
The views expressed by contributors to AACSB Insights do not represent an official position of AACSB, unless clearly stated.
Subscribe to LINK, AACSB's weekly newsletter!
AACSB LINK—Leading Insights, News, and Knowledge—is an email newsletter that brings members and subscribers the newest, most relevant information in global business education.
Sign up for AACSB's LINK email newsletter.
Our members and subscribers receive Leading Insights, News, and Knowledge in global business education.
Thank you for subscribing to AACSB LINK! We look forward to keeping you up to date on global business education.
Weekly, no spam ever, unsubscribe when you want.