In Online Teaching: Assessment, Feedback and Honesty, you will learn how to reinforce the expectation that students will engage in ethical decision making in their professional lives, how to develop an online culture that includes explicit ethical dimensions, and how to identify best practices to limit unethical behavior. You will be guided through a critical reflection on how academic honesty is encouraged in your own institution's online programs, how courses and individual assignments can be structured to encourage academic honesty, and how technology can be used as control measures to both encourage honesty and document ethically problematic work. You will also learn how assessment differs for online environment, and then you will have an opportunity to translate some of your current assessment methods from the face-to-face to the online environment. You will have access to instructor-level permissions to create assessments, and will then receive and provide peer feedback, as well as instructor support on your assessments.
Topics for Discussion:
- Encouraging academic honesty: setting expectations and communicating processes relating to academic honesty
- Individual and group accountability: techniques for building a culture of responsibility in an online environment
- Controls for online classes: understanding why people act unethically and structuring courses and assignments to encourage honesty, ethical decision making, and using technology to establish controls that verify honesty of work
- Formative and summative assessment strategies
- Responding to students
- Preventing and detecting cheating
- Implement mechanisms and policies that encourage academic honesty
March 23 - April 5, 2020
Average length of time to complete this course is between two and three hours , depending upon attendee's level of engagement.
Who Should Attend
This online course is for faculty members interested in teaching courses in online, blended, and/or hybrid settings.
This cohort-based learning experience is delivered via the Brightspace learning platform and includes synchronous and asynchronous activities that apply concepts through content presentation, direct exercises, discussions, and reflections.
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Hungry for more? Bundle and SAVE!
The Online Teaching Effectiveness series is a collection of three courses:
- Online Teaching: Getting Started
- Online Teaching: Presence and Engagement
- Online Teaching: Assessment, Feedback and Honesty
The complete series provides attendees a comprehensive framework from which to develop individual courses geared toward teaching in non-traditional modalities. To expose attendees to a range of teaching styles, this option includes the perspectives and strategies from a variety of content creators and subject matter experts.
SAVE when you register for all three courses at the same time!